Understanding Outstanding Warrants: What To Do

If you have an outstanding warrant or an arrest warrant has been issued against you, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. The first thing to do is determine whether or not there is a warrant against you. If you missed a court hearing, found your name on a list online, or have had someone come to your home or place of employment to look for you, these are the best ways to know.

The faster you take action, the better off you will be – especially if you turn yourself into the police. The police can take you into custody at any time. If you do not address the warrant, you will be in a constant state of paranoia. It is important to know that an outstanding warrant that goes unanswered can escalate Nebraska drug cases

A lawyer can help you to get everything settled before you go to the police.

Why Are Arrest Warrants Issued?

Courts issue warrants for many different reasons. There are a few different types of warrants that you may face:


  • Bench Warrant: A bench warrant is a warrant that directs law enforcement to bring someone into custody and then take the person before the court to address the reason behind the warrant. Most common, bench warrants are issued for failure to appear, violating parole, or failure to pay a fine, complete community service, or child support. If someone is picked up on a bench warrant, he or she may be held in jail until the case can be heard. 
  • Arrest Warrant: If there is enough evidence that someone has committed a crime, either a detective or an officer can request that there is an arrest warrant issued. Once that person is in custody, he or she can be held without bail until arraignment. 


There may be other cases in which an arrest warrant is issued, but those are the most common occurrences.

For minor charges like a traffic ticket, you may receive a summons to appear in court. Also called a “Notice to Appear,” this is not something to be ignored. Depending on what the charge is, someone may be required to appear multiple times throughout the process. If that person does not appear, they have violated the court order and the judge can charge them with a failure to appear or with contempt of court. Contempt or failure to appear can result in additional charges.

Bench Warrants

As mentioned, a bench warrant is an order to law enforcement to take someone into custody and then bring them in front of the court to address the failure to appear. Anyone taken into custody in this way can be held without bond until the court has scheduled a hearing.

If you ignore outstanding warrants, your life can be impacted in many ways. Not only may this force the original charge to become more severe, but you may also face increased fines, more jail time, and stricter community service sentences. It can have negative impacts on employment, housing, and child custody.

Note that the worst thing for a warrant of any kind is time – the longer you wait, the older the warrant gets, the more chance there is that you will get picked up or you will have trouble working with the court. Of course, the best option is to prevent a warrant altogether, but that isn’t always possible.

Contact A Nebraska Drug Lawyer As Soon As Possible

If you know that you have missed a court appearance or that there is some kind of warrant out for your arrest, it is best to take action immediately. Do not sit and worry – you will not get a proactive solution if you do that. Consult with an attorney as soon as possible. 

With a good lawyer, the court may allow you to turn yourself into the booking area of the jail instead of getting picked up in public. The court will also be more willing to hear from you before you are arrested or at least work with you once you are there. 

If you or someone that you love is facing the possibility of a warrant for arrest, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced Nebraska drug lawyer immediately. He will help you to sort out the facts of your case and offer assistance. For help as soon as possible, contact a Nebraska drug lawyer at 844-545-3022.